Sunday 12 May 2013

Shocklate caramel shortbread...

I must admit than I didn't fully realise how absorbing this challenge was going to be. Obviously I knew a regular baking task would be difficult but there are so many tasks related to that which make it so difficult, and honestly I didn't expect the eating part to be a problem.

I am not a fat person but nor do I eat healthily really (McDonald's is a particular heart stopping favourite of mine) so I assumed that eating baked goods daily (or thereabouts) would be dead easy and really enjoyable... How wrong was I!

After the cheesy scones I felt a little gluttonous, it's my own fault for eating 7 in a day but still! After the cupcakes I felt sick, and the bread the other day was eaten in one sitting (that's one whole loaf of bread!). So as a note for people attempting this sort of thing... Make sure you have a lot of fat friends you can give treats to, because I have none!

Anyway, to the challenge, last night was time to make Caramel chocolate shortbread. These are such devilish creations that they have three layers of heart-attack inducing ingredients but it's the one in the middle which proved to be one of the most demoralizing challenges so far.

Making caramel you have to keep stirring all the ingredients whilst they simmer until it turns thick... This DOES NOT HAPPEN. I tried my hardest and I followed the instructions to the letter but still it somehow ended up burning and having bits in it. I ran around panicking whilst trying to keep stirring and also cook the base at once, it didn't seem to be going well at all but I had to finish it so I did.

So let's face it they look gooood, and honestly they taste good too. I don't know why the caramel has bits in it but it doesn't taste bad at all, it's probably the best thing I've baked yet! So the moral of the story is that even when everything looks to have failed miserably, never give up!

The Result:

No comments:

Post a Comment