Tuesday 7 May 2013

Oh Naaaan, another disaster!

Yesterday's pecan-tastrophe did a serious blow to my confidence levels. (How am I going to make a Bundt cake if I can't make Pecan Biscuits?!) so today was an exercise in confidence building. Not just that but today was also the first day back to lectures (no more lounging about baking all day!) and the heatwave we've had has sapped me of any energy so I wasn't looking for a tough task to take on. Naan bread seemed sensible, it fit the bill and also had the added bonus of not being full of butter and sugar (something I've noticed that almost all of the other recipes in the book seem to contain...).

If only I hadn't completely fudged it all up!

Making the dough and so on was simple and as easy as should be expected from a "veteran" at this sort of thing, however the simple task of READING THE INSTRUCTIONS seems to be completely above me in almost every task so far. To be fair to myself, I was baking on only five hours sleep, had just had a very long lecture and then sat in the sun for hours on end, my excuse is that I was woozy from exhaustion but really we all know that I was just cutting corners! I misread one instruction which said to grill under a high heat for one minute and flip over and accidentally read the time above it (for how long to preheat the grill) which was 15minutes... I was sitting in the lounge resting when the smoke alarm went off.

My house's smoke alarm is about as sensitive as baby's skin, it goes crazy at even the slightest whiff of any kind of smoke, I wouldn't be surprised if the kettle set it off somehow! But today it was right on the money, I rushed into the kitchen to see two of my naan breads as huge as balloons and burning merrily away. And when I say burning, I don't mean they were overcooked, I mean they were ON FIRE. So in short they were mostly inedible. Luckily I had two more to cook which came out gloriously after being cooked for the time suggested. The stress, the heat and the vast amount of curry eaten really got to me afterwards and I slumped on my bed and only just woke up about ten minutes ago, so I apologise profusely if any of what i've been saying makes less sense than usual (which I admit wasn't that much anyway!).

The Result:

Mmmm, Burny...
So overall I wouldn't say it was as big a catastrophe as it could have been, I mean ok there was a campfire going on in my grill and two of the Naans came out as black as coal but the other two were damned tasty so I guess it's just a learning curve!

I will upload the recipe as soon as I can and add the link in later so if you're interested in the one I used keep checking back!

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I will HAVE to share this with friends! Keep posting!
    affterrainn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the comment! Unfortunately I have finished it now, all 100 recipes are done and dusted! But do keep looking through the published ones! :)

    ReplyDelete