Sunday 19 May 2013

Muffincredible

Today I was really on the ball with my baking, and I mean seriously committed! Perhaps it was because I woke up with the taste of yesterday's pecataclysm (I'm running drastically short on puns I can make about pecans!) still stirring in my mouth. Somehow the horrible, rich, sugary taste pervaded through two teeth brushings and my morning coffee. It was definitely time for something pretty much guaranteed to be tasty, so without any extra dithering I got weighing out ingredients. I must admit that baking on a sunday morning is far more relaxing and enjoyable than baking on an average weekday evening (even though weekend radio is terrible so I couldn't do my standard beating eggs dance... such a shame).

The task was double chocolate muffins and thankfully I had all the ingredients, including sour cream. I must say that having sour cream is something I would never actually have if it wasn't for this challenge, and I think that is probably true for most people. So why put it in a supposedly accessible cook book recipe? The top result for Muffin recipes doesn't have it so why should mine be so much more awkward and difficult!?

Apparently, soured cream is perfect because of its consistency, it makes for a much chewier and dense consistency than the average more crumbly texture. And I must say that I have really enjoyed both sour cream recipes I've done so far. Perhaps it's a coincidence but maybe not, there's just something else there in the taste and the texture which just seems to make them pop. The muffins - which i recommend serving before they've fully cooled - were absolutely glorious. They were soft, spongey and full of flavour. The chocolate melts beautifully in the mouth to make for a decadent deliciousness you just don't get in shop bought ones. It was absolutely delightful!

Usually I have a problem of some sort when baking to go on about a little bit but today there is literally nothing to complain about. I would bake them again tomorrow if I didn't have something else planned! Then again, there is still one significant problem...

Today I baked early on but still decided to leave it until now to post the blog (for some reason I write much more succinctly in the evening and night) but the problem was that I've eaten three muffins today despite my heart thumping out "no-more...No-more.. No-More...NO-MORE." I gave my house mates one each, which leaves one muffin uneaten... And I forgot to take a photo in my eagerness to try them! So please take my word for it that I cooked six muffins but they were just so good I couldn't help but eat them before I had a chance to get all instagram on them! Annoyingly, the one left was definitely the runt of the litter too, funny how much aesthetics helps us decide on our food, it'll taste just as good but because the poor thing is wonky it gets left in the fridge all alone over night... Bless.

The Result:
Mmmm, Lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment