Wednesday 8 May 2013

A piece of cake...

In the last few posts I've been a tad unsuccessful (unless you count setting fire to Naan bread and having biscuits with the consistency of breadcrumbs as successes) so imagine my surprise and delight when today's recipe was actually successful! Granted, today's recipe was the simplest of simple, Vanilla Iced Cupcakes, but when they come out cooked to perfection it is definitely good reason to celebrate, and what better way than to celebrate than eating cupcakes?!

What is my success today mainly due to? Well I can tell you for one that it certainly wasn't attention to detail. Most of the recipe was made with my usual slapdash approach to baking and I even used milk which I later discovered smelt more than a little bit dodgy. I didn't actually measure out the icing ingredients properly, instead I dropped an indeterminate amount of Icing sugar in a bowl and decided to just add butter until it resembled icing (which worked out ok other than it being a little bit less solid than one would hope). Then rather than using a piping tube, a luxury one on Student Loan just can't afford, I just lathered it on and attempted to prettify with a fork...to admittedly varying degrees of success.

I'm glad it went well though, after the first day with a relatively full timetable - well as full as uni timetables ever really are - it was really a welcome relief to try something pretty easy and actually have some success. I really do dread to think what will happen in 20 or so recipes' time when I'm having to make something which I've both no idea how to do and also insufficient skills to do successfully. And actually having to do some form of work or revision on top of that. If I break down and fail I do apologise in advance but lets be fair, I'm sure my anguish filled writings will be far more fun to read than an amateur baker actually having successes!

The Result:
Mmm Successful!
So there you have it, six cupcakes. Nothing was burnt. They tasted good. They look good... I wonder if this will ever happen again in my challenge. I think not, I best make the most of it while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment