Friday 3 May 2013

"Daily" Bread


So to kick things off I thought I'd go with the staple of most diets, Bread. Easy right?

I must admit I've been a fan of home made bread for a long time, and am even the proud owner of a low quality, carboot-sale-bought breadmaker. But that would be cheating, I am planning to go by the book...Let's see how that pans out!

First mistake was not checking my equipment... I'm a poor uni student and so I only have a meager set of baking things with me at Uni. I was lacking the essential "Loaf Tin" so I had to make rolls instead - so much for sticking by the book!- but other than that I was a devout and dedicated Amateur baker and stuck to the guidelines.I definitely have a natural tendency - like most men - to disregard those instructions set down by the professionals and assume that "I know best." Previously this method hasn't exactly stood me in good stead (most of my handmade breads have been rather 'yeasty' and a little solid) so sticking to the rules properly should yield a far better outcome.

I must admit that as soon as I deviated slightly by making rolls I began worrying. What if they're in too long? Do they need more or less time to rise? Did I shape them right? Honestly, it was guaranteed to cause a fuss from the get go, it's the first recipe and I'm already making an arse of it. Luckily, the kneading always makes me feel better, there's nothing like pummeling your worries into a spongey ball of dough. On top of that, everything seemed to be going well, my dough was as the recipe asked, it was as smooth as jazz. But then of course the proving (letting the yeast raise the bread) is the scary bit.
1 Hour ticked by and it had all risen perfectly. So splitting it into rolls and leaving it again was easy... timing it wasn't! I literally have no idea when it was that i started that process nor do I know how long I'd left them for, woops. So I put the "maybe-risen-maybe-not" balls of dough in the oven and waited for the taste test to seal my fate...

The Result:
Mmmm, Crusty!

So, as you can see we got some rather tasty looking rolls out of the job! Ok so obviously they're a little burnt but I'm sure you can forgive me for that, after all I was going by the recipe for a loaf (these took half the time). Luckily my nostrils were on top form at picking out the burnt smell before it was too late, fifteen minutes more and I am fairly sure these would have been black all over! The taste test is definitely the best bit, i had the smallest roll there and it was lovely and crusty and very tasty. The biggest one there on the other hand was a little burnt and a little yeasty tasting. Still edible but not perfect! I would recommend making about 12 rolls, these big uns just didn't cook as well!

On the whole though, not a complete disaster. Encouraging considering this is probably the most basic recipe in the book... I think I'd better invest in a fire extinguisher!

The Recipe is available in Home Baking From the Oven to the Table. Or Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment