Tuesday 28 May 2013

Bana-noooooo! Loaf

After Yesterday's powdery Shortcakes I decided I wanted to tackle something soft and moist today. Also, because I'm home from Uni now there is a lot more fruit here (I buy bags of lots of clementines or satsumas and literally nothing else) and of a much wider variety. Also, because I really dislike bananas it seems sensible to make Banana Loaf when A) I have people who can eat it other than  me! & B) I don't have to waste bananas buying a whole hand of them.
So I got to work mashing the horrible yellow fruits (don't you dare be nitpicking about herb or fruit!) into baby food, the smell was surprisingly pleasant. I can't say I've had a banana in many years of course, but I thought that the smell was a promising one; perhaps I would actually like this recipe...
It's a relatively simple recipe (I will post it up eventually, I will upload most of the less complicated & the best ones up here before the end!) which was a relief because I really didn't want to be slogging away separating yolks or carefully moulding anything which I knew I probably wouldn't like!

DISASTER STRIKES. Ok, that may be tabloidising it a bit but a frustration or mild annoyance did occur. Looking in the spice cupboard I realised we only had cinnamon sticks, no ground cinnamon... Why!? WHY!!?!

- Sorry to be over egging this disaster a bit, but when you write about baking everyday somehow it becomes rather a lot less eventful, I've got to take advantage a little and try and work in some exciting prose! -

So I got a knife and crushed the end of the stick a bit until it was a bit finer - not exactly an irreversible problem!

However, a less reversible problem crept up on me about 45 minutes later: distractions. The Loaf was meant to be cooking in the oven for an hour exactly. Naturally I wasn't going to sit around staring at it slowly cook in the oven but the problem was that my usual task of washing up took 15 minutes, about the amount of time a lot of the recipes I've cooked take in the oven. Today I got distracted...

I wandered upstairs (having set a timer on the oven) and took to my laptop. I fiddled around on various social medias for about five minutes but then I fatefully decided to check my eBay account. I've recently been selling my broken iPod so I decided to check its progress ( £2.20 at this moment in time!) but of course - as many shopaholics will know - it's not as simple as just checking eBay like that, no, I just had to search for an iPad. In fact, I've caught myself doing right this very second. I checked it to find out that price for you and now I'm already trawling through lists of glorious looking Tablets I'm still not sure I want and definitely not sure I need (Ok that's not true, I definitely want an iPad!)

And now I'm distracted by talking about it! Anyway *baking blog, baking blog, not tech blog*, this untimely distraction meant that the banana loaf was in the oven a bit too long...

The Result:
Mmm, Burny...

So there you have it, one burnt banana flavoured baked good... Possibly the worst thing I could ever imagine eating! Yet, it really wasn't half bad! Thought the outside looks burnt it's more burnt in the same way shop bought loaves of bread are (they always have a black top) the inside was very spongey and , well not very nice for my bananaphobic tastebuds. But others seem to have enjoyed it, so all in all, not a terrible disaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment