Sunday 30 June 2013

Carbake sale/ Cakeboot Sale

As you may have noticed,my blog has been a little quiet of the last couple of days. Yet, I have been far from lazy in terms of my baking challenge. I fact yesterday I completed the historic halfway mark in my challenge in a spectacular (ok, that may be a bit hyperbolic but still...) way, I went to an enormous car boot sale to sell my cakes to passing punters... And I made a profit!

It all began on Friday morning when I set off on my dads bike - it was built in the nineteen fifties - because my bike had a puncture to go and get ingredients to bake the four things I intended to sell. 

The choices were: chocolate fudge cake, because let's face it who doesn't like that?!; clementine cake, whilst not an obvious choice it was very cheap so I figured I'd get a few wanting numerous cheap slices; crunchy nut cookies, they looked great and had a lovely honey filling sure to go down well; and lemon and chocolate whirls, pretty looking, interesting and cheap to make!

Although very nervous, it was an exciting prospect to actually finally make some money back off this challenge. I've been spending a vast amount of my ever increasing overdraft on flour butter and nuts and this just seemed like an obvious way to solve the problem. Why not try? The least that could happen was that I wouldn't sell anything and that I'd have still baked four recipes I needed to for the challenge anyway! 

So, laden with a rucksack full of ingredients and a carrier swinging on my handlebars I slowly cycled the two or so miles home... In the rain. I got soaked.

But still, the rest of the afternoon was spent in front of the oven swapping cakes about and generally working up a sweat so I soon dried off. But I spent four hours baking the two cakes and two sets of biscuits, and in the end I was very very impressed with how they went. My previous attempt at baking in a rush didn't exactly go to plan but here they all turned out miraculously well! The cakes looked fabulous and the biscuits very tempting. So prospects looked good for yesterday's boot sale, even the sun had made an appearance whilst slowly setting on Friday evening. 

After a restless nights sleep (mainly due to expecting it to be time to be up already) we arose at five thirty in the morning - my girlfriend had kindly offered to chauffeur me to the car boot sale... Bless her she must be crazy but I love her for it! - and set off beneath the grey skies for a challenge to sell cakes.

After a slow first hour or two - I suppose people don't want to eat cake early in the morning - things picked up and we began selling biscuits to passers by, then the chocolate cake started going, before we knew it a few hours had gone by and we were left with only a few biscuits and almost half of the clementine cake ( much to my surprise, people just didn't care much for the slightly healthier cheaper option). I was in my element; hailing down families and tempting them with offers of freshly baked chocolate cakes and biscuits. I love the environment of trying to sell something I've put so much effort into for a profit (no matter how small!).

I the end, we returned with only half a clementine cake and no biscuits left. We'd made a profit on the day and the evening's baking. Admittedly I'm hardly going to make a living on it just yet, but it's something! At 50p an hour I'm earning way less than minimum wage but in terms of enjoyment and excitement I feel like I'm a millionaire.

Then, it was to bed for the afternoon.

The Results :


Mmmm, Carbooty

No comments:

Post a Comment