Sunday 2 June 2013

I'll have polenty more of that...

Today's task of baking a polenta and almond cake began with a debate. My dad kept insisting resolutely that polenta is some form of dish he has had in a foreign country, he claims it is cheese based. HE IS WRONG!
But you know what dads are like, he kept asking my mum: "What was that thing we had in Croatia called?" No answer.
"Wait, was it Croatia? Or was it in Prague?" At this point his entire argument collapsed, not only was he unsure of how right he was but he also had zero grounding for his argument. It may come across as a son being typically teenager-esque by trying to prove a point but in all honesty no matter how intelligent my dad may be, he has an awful memory for anything which has happened in the past 5 years - he's getting old bless him...
Also, I just happen to be a relatively knowledgeable person when it comes to flour and baking ingredients (well most of them!); I have worked in a windmill for five years so I believe I have an upperhand on many people! Polenta is just another name for cornmeal/maize meal/ground corn. Though they often vary in "grade" ( how finely ground they are) they are all from maize (corn on the cob plants for the urbanites amongst you!).
Anyway, the task was underway, polenta thoroughly defined and weighed up I got started with the recipe.
Although the recipe asked for a small orange, I honestly have no idea how big a "small" orange is! For me, I settled on ignoring the Orange and went for a satsuma. Although harder to grate the rind it was juicier and whizzing the peel in the whizzer did an excellent job anyway!
I must say that I'm growing rather fond of ground almonds, they really do add to the texture of a cake, it makes it feel far more substantial and of course adds a lovely taste; handy! The end result was wonderful, ideally served warm and with ice cream almond and polenta cake has become one of the best recipes I've done yet!

The Result:


No comments:

Post a Comment