Tuesday 25 June 2013

I mustard done well this time!

True to my blog yesterday I almost didn't bake again today, it certainly wasn't the top of the pile of jobs to do today, though in my procrastination I did find out a remarkable fact about my baking. The cost.

I mean I knew that it was an expensive endeavour when I began doing it. Even buying the cheapest cake you can every day for one hundred days would be expensive. At the minimum it would be about a hundred pounds! Yet obviously a baking challenge like mine doesn't just bake a basic sponge every day... I've had double chocolate gateauxs, spiced apple cakes, cheese cakes and everything in between. Although I've saved money by buying discount butter, flour and eggs you really can't save that much on things like glacé cherries or nuts. They're damned pricy! In short, I did some maths yesterday and discovered that the cake I baked yesterday cost me about seven quid to make, and that was with value flour and butter, it wasn't cheap!

Regardless, the challenge continues in spite of the ever deepening hole in my pockets. Today's challenge was going to be something more exciting than the Cheese and Mustard Scones I ended up making but I will have a proper day or two dedicated to baking soon, I've promised myself!

But the scones, which somehow jumped out at me, ended up being one of the most straightforward I've done in a while. It was almost literally weighing up the ingredients in any ole order and then whacking them in the oven! Unsurprisingly, absolutely nothing went wrong and they came out almost perfectly. Not only were they surprisingly tasty - lets face it, mustard and cheese don't scream out "yummy!" - but they were also so light and fluffy; perfect scones. Part of me wants another disaster because it would be way more fun to write about... But the other part me realises that at seven quid a cake I really can't afford any more disasters!

The Result:


                                Mmmm, lonely... 


No comments:

Post a Comment