Sunday 9 June 2013

Gingerly Confident Biscuit Baking

Considering that I have gotten just over a third of the way to completing my challenge I think I have done remarkably well in terms of not just baking some form of treat regularly but also in ensuring that my blog is updated as frequently as possible. Of course, I haven't written a post absolutely every day but then I think it would be outrageous to never give myself even one day off in a hundred days yet I've still managed to put up around thirty posts talking about this that and the other and - obviously - the baking. Yet today for the first time I've really struggled to think of a topic to open my blog with... I have it, the dreaded curse of writer's block.

I assumed that it would happen, you can't write on a topic every day without sometimes struggling to formulate an idea and of course witty stories can only be written about when you actually have a witty or interesting story to tell! So here I am, writing about my lack of ideas for the start of a post in the start of said post... How very abstract of me.

Anyway, the baking, as you may have noticed I never wrote a blog yesterday either. Perhaps it is unforgivable but personally I'm just glad I managed to squeeze in making chocolate brownies, because by god were they worth the effort it took to de-shell one hundred grams of pistachio nuts (i'd recommend buying yours de-shelled if you are to attempt a pistachio recipe!). Although I must admit that I was a little bit disappointed by the end result - the tray size meant that they came out more like small cakes than brownies - there was really very little to complain about. The inclusion of pistachio nuts is really quite ingenious because although you don't get a nutty taste from them it really adds to the texture to make them far interesting to eat. And because they don't get in the way of the gorgeous chocolatey flavour there's really no reason to not include them.

Today's recipe was Gingersnap biscuits (I know them as gingernuts but I'm going by the recipe's title!) and I am so glad that they worked so well. So far my attempts at biscuit making have ranged from hilariously disastrous (see "I Pecan't Make Biscuits") to dodgy looking but tasty (See "Bargain Hunting and Biscuit Making"). Today though, I am proud to say that not only have I successfully made biscuits which taste perfect but they also look incredible. And I mean properly professional looking, in fact so much so that it is very hard to tell whether or not they are actually shop bought or not. If it wasn't for the assortment of sizes I think I might doubt my own memory and believe that I simply imagined the whole baking escapade but alas I have finally made something I am actually very very proud of. They look great and taste great, perhaps a third of the way through this challenge I am finally getting my head round this whole baking malarkey... Well, we'll see if that lasts very long!

The Results: 


Mmm Browney..

Mmmm gingery

No comments:

Post a Comment