Monday 17 June 2013

Awww Jeeez(cake)

Today's gargantuan task was to make a New York Cheesecake and though I must admit that it was certainly not the most simple recipe I've ever made, it all seems to have gone rather well so far. But here's the catch, it isn't finished yet. Before I began the baking process I didn't realise this was a whole night job, it requires extensive cooling (both in the slowly cooling oven and in the fridge) for at least twelve hours. So I had to really hurry to try and make sure I had done something for today's eager baking fanatics too.

Unfortunately though today was just one of those days. I had intended to bake in the afternoon so that I wouldn't spoil my lunch by eating numerous cookies (I could spoil my dinner instead!) so wasted my morning doing other miscellaneous activities

- the sort that makes you think you are making good use of your time whilst doing it but then later look back on the day and realise that actually, you could have done infinitely more useful and exciting things -

when actually I should have been preparing for the epic task which was the afternoon's baking extravaganza. I had already arranged for a friend to join me in this particular endeavour mainly to make sure I wasn't quite as lonely as usual but also to take advantage of his wonderful four wheeled contraption (something I am sadly not qualified to operate). On the way he kindly picked up a Kilo of cream cheese (ironic that Philidelphia is used for a New York Cheesecake!) for the Cheesecake; something I'm sure he relished, after all, who doesn't want to be stared at by a judging till lady for eating such vast quantities of cheese.

But having forced the poor fellow to embarass himself because of my lack of preparation I also realised that I neither had enough eggs nor the correct baking tin for the job. So off we went in his (now I think about it) far from wonderful four wheeled contraption, held together by duct tape and with a wobble when the speed exceeds 50mph! To fetch said baking tin from my rather confused girlfriend and some eggs from our nearby shop.

After that it was merely a simple task of slowly adding everything into a food processor in the right order. Sounds easy right? Well not to someone as simple and unfocused as me! Somehow I managed to miss the flour out of the recipe (something I only noticed following 30 minutes of baking!) how could I be so stupid to miss out the flour from a cake!? I can't believe it!

Though whilst I make out that this is such a failure, in reality it may prove less so. There are only two tablespoons of flour in the whole recipe, so I'm hoping that the lack of it will barely make a difference. Only time will tell, tomorrow's blog post will hold the answer...

Because I couldn't disappoint my readers with such a cliffhanger I decided to make some Coconut and Cranberry Cookies as well. And they turned out rather well indeed! Smiles all around!

The Result:



Mmmm Not a cheesecake if you're wondering what went wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment