Wednesday 19 June 2013

Aww Jeez(cake) Part Two

Two days ago I promised you the second half of my gargantuan New York Cheesecake challenge,min which I would reveal whether my hardest challenge yet was a success or a failure. However, before I could finish it, I became quite ill with a horrible sickness/sore throat type bug thing my dad has been spreading round the house with his quite charming lack of mouth covering. So here I am tucked in bed  after a night attempting to clear my throat of whatever the hell is going on in there hoping to enlighten you on this second part of the cheesecake challenge.

I must be honest that writing a blog when feeling distinctly under the weather was never something I intended to do whilst completing this challenge. For one thing I genuinely never thought I'd get sick - the last time I was properly ill was almost a year ago when I was struck down by the dreadful freshers flu, undoubtedly caught from those "studying" media studies (if you can truly call media studies a real subject) my journalism course shares rooms with - but also that I'd haves to be mad to actually bake whilst ill; I seriously doubt the lurgy is a good topping to any cake! 

Yet I suppose today is a easy opportunity to take advantage of, it's not often I'm confined to my room with nothing but my (new and shiny) iPad for company and plenty of time to mull over my baking failures or successes. 

You may recall that i had left you with the potential disaster ridden cheesecake, I had completely forgotten to possibly the most important ingredient for any cake; flour. Yet, with a cheesecake made - unsurprisingly - mostly from cheese and cream I thought I might get away with it. There were only two tablespoons of it in the recipe after all!

After a night sitting at the bottom of the fridge (something my mother was not happy about considering its significant size!) it looked pretty much the same as it did when I put it in there; like a jelly before it sets. Yet, thankfully, when I lifted it out it was clear it was solid. HALLELUJAH! A far as I'm concerned it could taste terrible, at this point it was clear it was at the very least a "cake"! 

The result: 

It tastes very good, I must admit that. Is it perfect, definitely not but it does taste very nice (for a cheese cake anyway, they certainly aren't my favourite) I definitely think that whenever orange zest is asked for in recipes that I would always go for satsuma peel instead, it is far sweeter and so much tastier!

Though it certainly wasn't perfect, for instance the digestive biscuit base decided to stick to the base of the tin....not the cake! Still, you eat a cheesecake for the cheese cake bit not the "buttery biscuit base!" 

So there you have it, one pretty much successful cheesecake, proving that not only do you not have to be a very good baker but you also don't even need to put all the ingredients in to have a successful cake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment