Monday 15 July 2013

Tardy Tart Tatin

I suppose you could say that time got the better of me. Or you could say that I've been lazy. You could say I've given up. But none of these are true, in reality I've just been enjoying my summer holidays in the sun and amongst the company of my wonderful girlfriend and my lovely friends. It has been over two weeks since I did a blog post and honestly there hasn't been a moment in which I've had the desire to do one either.

Again, you could call me lazy but the reason I did this challenge was so that I could enjoy writing about something in my summer months whilst completing a fun challenge. I have enjoyed both aspects but I certainly won't do it til I actually hate doing it or if it gets in the way of spending time with those important people I don't get to see all that often anymore!

Alas, poor reader, don't weep into your keyboard or frustratedly tap your tablet screen in anger because I have finished. No, I certainly haven't finished! There are still nearly 40 recipes to be baked and just under a month to do it! Can I do it? Oh I've no doubt that I will but whether ill be alive at the end I just don't know!

I the past few weeks I have been baking I can assure you this, I have even begun selling some of my produce to my place of work (a local Windmill) at a profit and shall be taking even more in this coming Wednesday. I have another car boot sale planned in the near future and a lot of the more difficult cakes and tarts left to do. But don't worry, I still haven't had any awful disasters in a long time so the future is looking bright for those dastardly looking challenges. 

Today's recipe though was a particularly exciting one, mainly because it looked absolutely dastardly. A Tart Tatin is essentially an apple tart made with melted sugar and butter, the apples are then simmered  in the toffee esque sauce before being covered over with puff pastry and baked. The tart is flipped out of its tin before serving. It looks so very impressive I could hardly believe that it worked so well. I was so sure I'd be facing a bit of an embarrassment which I could easily not mention (after all, my break means that I didn't have to mention burning a few things!) yet to my astonishment it slid out of the tin easily and was, and I quote my father, "the best thing yet" (My dad is a fan of tarts... Though hopefully not the kind out in the local club on a Friday night!).

The Result:

Mmmmm, Toffee Apple (Tart Tatin)
Here is a collection of some of the cakes I've made in the last two weeks, I have definitely done more than just these but unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of some of them. Hand on heart though, they were completed! 

Mmm Burnt Cherry Pie!

Mmmelting Cream Palmiers

Mmmalted Chocolate Biscuit Slices

Mmmacaroons... Vanilla Style!

No comments:

Post a Comment