Tuesday 30 July 2013

Whoopie doo, I'm almost there!

In just under two weeks my challenge will be over, and though a significant part of me is relieved that I'm coming to the end of what has seemed like such a significant effort in my summer it must be acknowledged that I have achieved a great deal. When I started my challenge I was ok at baking, I certainly wasn't the novice I may have made myself out to be but I certainly wasn't a "Baker" I dabbled in cooking and usually only the same few things. For example, I used to always make the same sponge cake, scones, bread and flapjacks almost every time I baked. 

The main thing I've discovered about myself during this challenge is that it is remarkable that all it takes is a little drive and you can do anything. Us human beings are funny old things we're so diverse; knowledgeable, comitted, happy, excitable, foolish, lazy, sad, impatient, focused,
 scatterbrained and self-contradictory...And that's all just one person, me! 

The thing is, this challenge was part of me just trying something new. I've been writing a lot about different topics over the years, particularly about films, and really I just wanted to see whether I could do something other than that. Having been so focused on being that film critic for years and years its hard to suddenly lose the desire for it anymore, but that's what happened. So maybe if I could bake a hundred recipes in a hundred days I could prove to myself that really, if I put my mind to it then I can do anything.

But it's not just about me, it's about everyone. Anyone leaving uni, school or college really can do anything they want, you've just got to have the desire to do it, the get up and go attitude to make it happen and if you're lucky, some friends and family to help make it worth it.

The last few days of baking has gone pretty darned well if I may say so myself. I've done many flapjacks, Chocolate whoopie pies, butternut squash and orange cake, carrot cake and some hazelnut and chocolate cookies. All delicious! 


The Results:

Mmmm flappy
Mmmm Whoopie...
Mmmmmm Butternutty
Mmmm Carrot-ey
Mmmmm On Display in the Shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment