Tuesday 16 July 2013

A-muesli-ngly Done

That's right, I'm writing another blog post! Imagine it, someone doing a hundred day challenge and actually writing for two days in a row after 60 days, it must be unheard of! And today is just one of those days where I've really taken advantage of the summer sun and enjoyed almost every minute of it!

Too long have I been a typical uni student and gone to bed in the small hours of the morning and then woken up at midday, the last few days I've begun to get myself out of this holiday cycle I'm stuck in. I must admit that things like driving lessons and work have ensured that I am up early every now and then but for the most part early is around about ten o clock... And I rarely woke up 'early'! 

I suppose the heat has helped, I just want to take the best advantage of that lovely morning sun and not be stuck in my bed - which is almost unbearable in the morning heat anyway! - and honestly, I love it. I have been so proactive in the last few days that I have developed a quite good routine. Ill get up in the morning and have a glance at the news and various social networks whilst eating my breakfast and drinking my cuppa before settling down to paint a little bit - not the really artistic pretentious kind but the more lame/geeky toy soldier variety! - Then it'll be around 12 and ill get baking, by lunch everything's in the oven and I can rest before enjoying the afternoon doing some more energetic and less claustrophobic activities. 

There just feels like there's so much more day time now. It's fantastic, I would highly recommend giving it a go yourself... Well, at least until the English summer ends (in a few days undoubtedly!.

In my baking today I attempted some muesli cookies (made with almonds and mixed dried fruit and oats) which were absolutely delicious. Although I reckon they were closer to being circular flapjacks, in terms of consistency, they still made lovely cookies and went very well with my post lunch cup of tea (which to my utter dismay had been made with milk 6 days past the sell by date! Yet it still tasted fine...). Probably more suited to the winter months but still a tasty treat!

The second recipe ( there's absolutely no way I can finish without doing two recipes or more almost daily!) was definitely more suited to the summer months; a Herb Foccacia. I have to admit, I have no idea what a Foccacia actually is, but to me it just looks like a circular bread with holes in it for decoration - which were made by just poking a greased up finger into the dough a few times! When making it I had quibbled the amount of herbs required (it asks for 4 tbsp of mixed herbs for a 400g loaf) and decided to go with around three in the end (basil, oregano, rosemary and thyme) the smell was extremely pungent. I worried that I should have used a bit less yet, in the end the taste came out rather subtle and improved what is essentially a normal white loaf into one perfect to accompany summer salads. All in all, a great success!

The Results:
Mmmmmuesli Cookies
Mmmm Herby (No, not the car!)

No comments:

Post a Comment