Friday 19 July 2013

I biscotti get a move on!

Since I last blogged I took my baking produce to my workplace to sell and I must say that I did rather well selling them myself, all but one of the packets of goodies had been sold by the end of my shift ( and I'm pretty sure my boss will sneakily take that for his pudding!). Although I obviously had confidence in my baking -it's really looking a lot better these days! - I was still surprised at how easy it was to sell them for the price my boss had given them (£1.50 per pack of two flapjacks or five cookies)  this was mainly because of the struggle I had selling cake at the car boot sale a few weeks back. 

But it got me thinking about the audience of the food and how it can make a difference. My boss really likes to live the high life at almost every opportunity he can so when, on a recent visit to London, he decided to pop into the savoy hotel he simply couldn't resist buying tea and biscuits. First, lets bear in mind that in the shop he owns he sold six vanilla macaroons for £1.50 (made by yours truly) which he paid £1 for .... Which I made for approximately 30p for the six! He went to the Savoy and paid £18 for a - paltry if you don't mind me saying! - dozen Macaroons. Wow! So by my maths, the savoy has made an approximate £17.40 profit from those macaroons... It just shows how the location can make a difference; at a carboot they're worth 20p each unwrapped, at a shop £1.50 for 6 wrapped up and at one of the poshest hotels in London you are clearly paying the money to be allowed to walk into the place... The macaroons are more like a free gift for being wealthy enough to afford entry! 

Today's produce - also being baked for my boss to sell on - are Almond Biscotti, Date Pistachio and Honey slices and Apricot Flapjacks.

The biscotti are particularly good I must say! It's been a while since I made a truly satisfying crunchy biscuit, but by god do these have some crunch to them, and they taste absolutely gorgeous, just another nut based thing definitely worth giving a try yourself! The Date Pistachio and Honey Slices are really quite well made... I say this mainly because they definitely are not my thing. Dates taste absolutely awful, even when mixed with sugar and honey! They are clearly one of those things which are only ever eaten by the elderly to ensure one's bowels are working efficiently - sorry about that one if you're currently eating some form of chocolate! But I have definitely made them particularly well, the pastry which sandwiches together the date, honey and pistachio mix is done perfectly and really what more can you want!? Oh yeah, a tasty end product! The Apricot Flapjack is... well, it's flapjack with bits of apricot in, hardly worth explaining!

 And if I'm honest, it's barely worth mentioning in terms of the cooking process. I have finally got batch baking down to a tee, there really is no way easier to do it than leave the oven going and switching things round and using the same bowls to weigh things. It saves an enormous amount of time on washing up and also seems to be more worth taking the time to do. In recent weeks I've slowed down because it takes two hours out of my day to simply do one baked good. Whereas now I can manage to do three baked goods in the same amount of time, and sell them all on! It's a win win situation! And there's even no disasters to report... Boring, I know! 

The results: 


Mmm Crunchy!
Mmmm Good for the bowels..
Mmmmore Flapjacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment